Red light violation detection system (RLVD)
The Red Light Violation Detection (RLVD) system detects and records evidence of red light jumping by vehicles at traffic signals. Unmanned detection should be possible for day and night. It consists of a Capture Hardware installed at the junction and connected to the Central control room. The capture hardware consists of a camera head mounted on a pole and a field mounted enclosure housing all electronics, power supply etc. A number of Capture Point Units are connected to a single Central Monitoring Station. Two types of sensors are supported
a) Inductive loop embedded in the road, and
b) Video analytics camera based virtual loop.
When red light is present, the sensors detect any violating vehicles and give capture command to the camera for capturing images of the number plate of the violating vehicle. Every Capture Point supports two-three cameras, depending on the number of lanes, each connected to a video capture unit. Of these, one camera is used to capture images of vehicle number plates and one common camera is used to take wide angled shots of all the lanes as well as the traffic light. This is a mandatory requirement for treating the images as Court room evidence to show that the vehicle was crossing the road during red light.
The video from the capture units is in a compressed format (JPEG/MPEG4). The images are recorded in a hard disk recorder. It is possible for tens of thousands of violation images to be stored in a single 500GB hard disk without overwriting. Camera flashes are also provided to capture images during night or low light conditions.
The Capture Point Units are connected to the Central Monitoring Station in one of the methods 1) by internet – ADSL connection 2) by leased tines 3) WIFI connection (if the Field unit has built in WIFI router, it can be connected to a laptop on a police jeep for downloading violation images. This is very useful when remote connectivity is an issue). From the Central monitoring station, it is possible to download captured images using software provided for the purpose. Violation capture is unaffected by image download. Automatic Number Plate Recognition is possible. To provide for continuous operation in the absence of mains power, battery backup is provided. On ‘battery low’ condition, the system automatically goes to ‘standby’ mode and returns to normal when mains power is restored. There is the possibility of installing COMBO systems, if required, in which red-fight vitiation is captured during red light conditions and over-speed detection is done during green light condition and when red lights are switched off.
Over Speed detection system (SVD)
The system detects and records evidence of over speeding vehicles. Unmanned detection is provided day and night. It also consists of a Capture Hardware installed on road side and connected to the Central control room. Again, it is possible for a number of Capture Point Units to be connected to a single Central Monitoring Station.
Two types of sensors are supported
a) Dual Inductive loops embedded in the road and
b) Doppler Radar. The sensors detects any violating vehicles and gives capture command to the camera for capturing images of the number plate of the violating vehicle.
Every Capture Point supports 2- 3 cameras, of which, one camera is used to capture images of vehicle number plates and one common camera is used to take wide angled shots of all the lanes. Two wide angle shots are taken to prove that the vehicle was moving on the road.
Control Room Software:
• Automatic download of captured violations by server software from multiple locations. Automatic Number Plate recognition by System Software while downloading
• Configure the capture stations – Machine ID Settings / Sensor / Flash / Camera Parameters / Date & Time / Connection Parameters / Access Settings can done through system software running on the server
• User can use any standard web-browser to access violations downloaded by the server software
• Getting vehicle/owner information from State Motor Vehicle database if linked and embedding them to challan
• Challan data information is customizable. Settings provided for changing fine amount, header, footer, logo, challan printing office etc., for administrator privilege
• Various reports like Search Vehicle, User’s Report, Violation Analysis Report, Dispatch Report and System Events Report are available
• Hot listed Vehicles – To provide real time alerts if any, hot listed vehicles are detected. It is also possible to search for any vehicle based on license number, date, time etc. Multiple category of hot listed vehicle classification is provided.
Payment Management Service:
• Cash payment through various collection points (Police stations and other offices of police dept.) throughout the state (web service)
• Credit Card / Debit Card (ATM Card) online Payment with payment gateway
• Highly secured multi level authorization and authentication system
• Data security through encryption
• Secured Socket Layer for financial data transfer through internet
• Automation of Bank Reconciliation Process
• Easy availability of financial reports and MIS reports
• Quick and easier search facility
S.P Gopakumar Project Manager, Communication Project group, Keltron, Trivandrum