In the short run (2022-2026), the OAGC Project will:
• Directly employ about 9,400 formal construction workers;
• Stimulate about 76,357 additional informal jobs in the region;
• The OAGC will lower the state’s unemployment rate directly by 0.18% (183 days or more in a year) and by 0.76% (30 days or more in any economic activity in that year) percentage points.
• Add about Rs. 5,310Cr to the Economy of Kerala;
• Generate Rs. 264Cr per year in the state and local tax revenue; and
• Reduce travel time, kms, and congestion. In the long run, the OAGC Project will:
• Spur economic development;
• Create about 3.5 lakh to 5.5 lakh jobs;
• Increase economic output of Kerala by Rs. 16,527Cr;
• Connect labour to employment opportunities;
• Support the region’s growing population;
• Lower automobile pollution in the area; and
• Demonstrate a willingness of the government to partner with the private sector.
The project puts OAGC residents to work in high-end jobs with good pay, spurs economic development, and supports the outer region’s future population. The enduring benefits of the OAGC outweigh its upfront costs.
The OAGC Project is expected to be completed within three years, i.e. you can drive on the Outer Area growth Corridor of Thiruvananthapuram from January 1, 2023.